Sunday, June 1, 2008

major juice haul....vacation finds, round 1



this trip allowed me to rekindle some old loves. mainly, some fragrances that i had all but written off.

i'd written before that i had been pining away for calvin klein truth. it happily reminds me of my junior year of college. it's a perfect blend of sweet greens and clean earth, not too heavy and so wonderfully breathable. it's not easy to find, but i purchased a HUGE bottle.

my cousin had a small bottle of givenchy extravagance d'amarige, just sitting on her counter, ignored. it was released in 1998, and joined the long list of "things i never bought that i wish i would have". i tried it on every time i went to the store. the top notes are green mandarin, rose, and pink peppercorn (or, depending on which site you ask, taget and violet as well). heart notes are jasmine, violet, and orange blossom (or wisteria, depending again on which site). base notes are sandalwood, cedarwood, black iris, and musk (and wild strawberry, depending). to me, it has a wonderful old-school french quality that doesn't have that stale, mature smell that so many of them can. it feels classy and expensive. put a fragrance like that on a younger generation and lately they've been labelling it as "edgy". i convinced my cousin that i would give it a more appropriate home, since she barely gravitates beyond shower gel. i see myself wearing it on breezy, summery days.

tom ford black orchid finally seduced me, and i bought a bottle. it confused me at first sniff, and i alternated between love and indifference. but it stuck in my head and i pondered it for weeks, and realized how much it intrigued me. that moved it WAY up on my list, and now, i have a bottle of my own. i know i have to be careful with this juice-it can be heavy and it's not for every occasion. this is a dressy smell, not made for a light day of shopping or grilling out with friends. this is "going to dinner and a broadway show" or an "important date with an important guy" in restrained amounts.

of course, i picked up some samples along the way, which creates more product lust. i can't wait to see how the new Versace warms up on me. it's note are: Living Dew Drops, Icy Black Currant, Purple Wisteria, White Lilac, Lotus Flower, Living Orchid, Angel White Jasmine, White Lights Azalea, Snowbird Azalea, Musks, Cedar, Cashmirwood, and Amberwoods. what interests me most about this smell is that it reminds me of a past smell that i used to love, and i can't say if it's Kenzo Parfum d'ete (which seems to have changed for me over the years) or Fred Hayman Touch (which they no longer make). it's unmistakably floral and feminine, a definite departure from my collection of woodsy/musky/herby favorites.

surprisingly, prada parfum d'iris has creeped into my soul. i haven't sprayed it on my skin, and i actually don't have a sample to take for a test drive, but on the strip....i keep going back. i cannot be appeased until i have worn it. The top notes are orange blossom and mandarin, and base notes of galbanum, lentisc, benzoin, incense, vetiver and cedarwood. it's not nearly as floral as the name would have you believe, but there is something so..husky about it. it's a throaty, robust flower that cannot be taken lightly. it says, "i'm feminine, but not giggly".

i'll let you know as i try my other samples, too....all these new fragrances are sufficient fuel for awhile.

No comments: